Tuesday, June 18, 2019

The Self paper - The start of a new journey

Tangata Tuturu
The Self Paper Assessment 1
Ko Haremate Kutia Toku Ingoa. I am first and foremost a proud Maori woman. Welcome to my interesting world. In my personal journal, I will be discussing different topics such as myself and who I am. I will also be expressing my cultural beliefs and values and will provide a description of how these influences have shaped my life. I will also provide an insight into my world view and explain how through my world view, my culture has shaped me into the woman I am today.

I am of Maori and European descent with my family originating from Tuhoe. My step-father comes from the Philippines. My siblings and I were raised in Glen Innes located in East Auckland. I attended all the local schools in the neighbourhood. I am currently a mother to a nine-year-old son, Hendrix Pouono. This year he has started his own journey at Dilworth Junior Campus. I am the eldest of three children and was the subject of teenage pregnancy. In which case, my mother had to grow up fast at the age of fifteen.  

I became pregnant with Hendrix at the age of 17. As a result, I wasn’t able to attend university or obtain a degree or qualification of any kind. I decided to focus my life on being the best mother I could for Hendrix and giving him the best possible start in life. I worked at Point England school since he was four years old as a Teacher Aide. With the help of my family and my church, I have raised Hendrix to the best of my ability. Teaching him morals and respect as well as basic manners as I was taught as a child.

Being of Maori and Pakeha descent, I have learnt about both sides of my heritage. I was raised in a home where English was the common language but being exposed to Te Ao Maori through my late Grandmother. As a child I became more curious about my Maori words and explored the language From a young age, I have always been very passionate about my culture and very involved in Kapahaka in my community. I also believe that I have applied what I have learnt about Tikanga in our lives at home. A Whakatauki or Maori proverb I was taught to me by one of my influences Ihaka Samuels. Growing up I was told “He Aha Ko Wai Koe “ Remember who you are. With this proverb, I'm always reminded of the understanding of being true to myself culture and identity and not letting peoples opinions on how they think of me influence who I become.

I currently attend Tamaki Community Church and have been attending since I was ten years old. I was introduced to this church due to an after-school program held at Point England School called the Riverside Club. Which was lead by the principal Mr Russell Burt. Having attended a
kids camp in Matamata called Totara Springs I was introduced to Sunday school and went on to and found my sense of belonging and a place I call home. Year’s later I am still volunteering at the Riverside club, and have great joy in seeing kids having as much fun as I did. Being able to provide them with a holiday with food, fun and messy games for a reasonable price is rewarding. Currently, I am also leading a Young adults group ranging from eighteen to thirty. Being in leadership I find my self-feeling overwhelmed and sometimes has a strain as a twenty-six-year-old. With these feeling’s I am reminded consistently by Mr Burt to seek help which I find my self saying to God  “Help me to do the next thing right and the right thing next”.

A lot of my beliefs and values come from the surroundings of my community. Being exposed to drugs, gangs and also alcohol stores within my neighbourhood, definitely made me more aware of these issues. I grew up in a part of Auckland labelled the hood which has many more beneficiaries than working-class families and where addictions to drugs and alcohol serve as a “safe place” for many. As a young mother growing up within this community, I was reminded that I was loved and valued and that I had much more potential than I realized. With this realization that I no longer wanted to be a single mother on the benefit, I knew that I wanted to do more with my life. With this change, I had to change the way that I spoke, the way I dressed and to conduct myself in a manner that was true and right.

A phrase that was taught to me growing up by a good friend Anthony Samuels “Your past doesn't have to determine your future” We may stuff up along the way and have things in our lives go wrong, but we no longer have to live there. My worldview and perception of life is this phrase all over - that a young mother who had a child at seventeen, can still aspire to a life that is bigger than I could imagine and just because I have had a child does not mean my life is over. Allowing myself to change with an open mind and heart and realized I don’t have to be stuck in a place that felt dark and uninspiring.  

Food for thought I leave to conclude; as I am constantly reminded by a good friend Anthony Samuels, ”What you think about, you become”. That whatever I put my mind to with the inspiration of family, values and wider worldviews, I can strive to succeed and chose to believe that I can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment